Call Us
Free Case Review

Credit Report Errors 3 Steps to Dispute!

How to Dispute Credit Report Errors

Have you discovered credit report errors?  According to the Federal Trade Commission, one in five consumers has an error on their credit report. In a follow up study, the FTC determined almost 70% of consumers who made a dispute to the credit bureaus believed they still had inaccurate information on their credit reports.  Credit report errors can cause credit denials.  Credit report errors can also cause lenders to approve applications with high interest rates and low credit limits. In other words, inaccurate information can keep you from getting credit, and if you do, the cost of credit may be higher for you!

Credit Report Errors

3 Steps to Dispute Credit Report Errors

1. Order your credit reports from the nationwide consumer reporting agencies.

Order your free credit reports.  Consumers have the right to order their free credit reports from Equifax, Experian and Trans Union.  There are many different ways to order your free reports.  For instance, consumers can order the reports by mail, on-line or by telephone.  We recommend that consumers obtain their credit reports by mail.  It’s simple and there are no security verification questions that may prevent you from obtaining your reports!

Click HERE to download a free form to order all 3 of your free credit reports.  After you mail your request, you should expect to receive a response within 1-2 weeks by mail.

2. Identify all inaccurate information on your credit reports.

Identify all credit report errors.  Errors may include name variations, addresses, phone numbers, accounts or inquiries.  For example, if you address has an apartment number, but no apartment number is listed by the credit bureau, then that address is inaccurate.  Likewise, if your name is misspelled that is an error, too.  Make a list of every false item that is being reported by the credit bureaus.

You will need addresses for the credit bureaus to send your disputes.  Click HERE for a list of mailing addresses for the credit bureaus.

3. Send dispute letters to each of the credit reporting agencies.

Send your dispute letters to the credit reporting agencies.  Put the credit reporting agencies on notice that you are challenging the credit report errors.  You dispute letter may include a short and plain statement about what items are inaccurate and why the items are not accurate, such as not mine. or, you may point out that your address is not being reported with the correct apartment number.  Your letter should be mailed by certified mail to each of the credit reporting agencies who are reporting false information about you.

Click HERE for a free sample credit report dispute letter.

What if the credit bureaus verify the false information?

If you follow these steps, and the credit bureaus verify the false information reported about you, then you may have a claim under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).  The Adkins Firm represents consumers across the U.S. who have credit report errors.  We represent consumers who are mixed with other consumers who have same or similar names.  We represent consumers who are being reported as deceased by the credit bureaus.

Do you have credit report errors?  Have you disputed the errors, but the credit reporting agencies verified the disputed information belongs to you?  If you answered yes to these questions, then we may be able to help you. Make an appointment with one of our lawyers for a free phone consultation.  Or, contact us to schedule a free case review.   Remember, it’s your credit report!