Credit Report Error Lawyers

Choosing the right law firm to represent you and your rights is the most important decision you will make when dealing with credit report error violations. The Adkins Firm represents consumers with credit report errors in lawsuits in Federal Court. If you have suffered losses as a result of credit report inaccuracies, we will fight on your behalf for the compensation you deserve.

We serve clients from across the U.S. from our office locations in Nashville, Birmingham, Dallas, and Houston. We have also represented clients in California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington, D.C. under federal consumer protection laws.

Here are some of the credit report errors we see:

  • Mixed files – information that relates to a family member or stranger appears on another consumer’s file
  • Credit report errors due to identity theft
  • Reported as deceased
  • Obsolete our out-dated information

How Do Credit Report Errors Happen?

Credit report errors may be the result of identity theft or a consumer reporting agency’s failure to assure the maximum possible accuracy of its credit files. Consumers have the right to dispute credit report and background report errors under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). All credit report errors should be disputed to the credit reporting agencies.

What Can You Do about Credit Report Errors?

The information that follows on this page identifies the most common errors found on credit reports and explains how to dispute them. In the best case scenario, disputing an error with definitive proof should be all you have to do to get your credit report corrected.

But unfortunately, many times it is not that simple. If the error is not corrected after a dispute, you may be entitled to sue for a corrected credit report, for damages for financial harm and emotional suffering, and for punitive damages. Additionally, if you sue, our attorney fess will be covered by the settlement. That means no money out of your pocket. So if you have tried to dispute inaccuracies on your credit reports without success, please call The Adkins firm for a free phone consultation or come in for a free case review.

The Most Common Credit Report Errors

ID Theft Credit Report Errors

  • Hard credit inquiries appear on my credit report that do not belong to me.
  • Someone opened credit accounts in my name without my permission.
  • Debt collectors are calling or sending me letters for accounts that I did not open.

Mixed or Merged Credit Report Errors

  • My father’s or son’s accounts, judgments or bankruptcy appears on my credit report because we have the same or similar name.
  • My  sibling’s accounts, judgments or bankruptcy appears on my credit report because we have a similar name.
  • A stranger’s accounts, judgments, bankruptcy or other personal identifying information is on my credit report.
  • Criminal history appears on my background report that does not belong to me.

Furnisher Credit Report Errors

  • Accounts that are not past due are on my reported as past due.
  • My account is reported as past due and with a balance owed, but the account was included in bankruptcy.
  • I did a short sale on my home, but my mortgage company is reporting the account as a foreclosure.
  • Obsolete credit report errors
  • I was late on an account more than 7 1/2 years ago, but the credit bureau is still reporting the account as past due.
  • Public record credit report errors
  • I paid a judgment, but the credit agencies are reported the judgment as owing.
  • My judgment or eviction was vacated or dismissed, but the judgment or eviction still appears on my credit report or tenant history report.

Impermissible Credit Pull or Inquiry

  • An old creditor pulled my credit report after my account was included in and discharged in bankruptcy.
  • A car dealer pulled my credit report without my permission.
  • A credit card card company pulled my credit report for an account that I am only an authorized user.

Reported as Deceased

  • I applied for credit but I was turned down because a credit bureau reported me as deceased.

How Do I Dispute Credit Report and Background Report Errors?

  • Notify the credit reporting agency in writing of the information you believe is incorrect.
  • Include copies of supporting documents, such as proof of payment or an ID Theft Affidavit.
  • Include your contact information, name, address, and Social Security number.
  • Mail your dispute by certified mail and request a return receipt.
  • Keep your letter simple. Explain what credit report information is inaccurate and why it is inaccurate (such as not mine). Ask the credit reporting agency to delete the inaccurate information from your credit file.
  • Keep a copy of the dispute letter for future reference, especially if you have to hire an FCRA lawyer.

Click on Credit Report Dispute Letter to download a free sample credit report dispute letter.

Get in Touch

The Adkins Firm represents consumers with credit report errors. Contact us to schedule a case review.