What Should You Do When the Credit Bureaus “Verify” False Information?

You disputed false information to the credit bureaus, but the credit bureaus “verified” that the false information is correct.  Now what?  You have a few options: (1) send another dispute to the credit reporting agencies; (2) do nothing; or (3) contact an experienced credit report lawyer.

  1.  Send another dispute to the credit bureaus.  First, you may consider sending another dispute to the credit bureaus.  Your second dispute should be made by certified mail, and you should keep a copy of your credit report dispute letter and postage receipt.  You can find the addresses for the credit reporting agencies, such as Equifax, Experian and Trans Union, HERE.  By sending your second dispute by mail, the credit bureaus will scan and save your dispute letter, and have the ability to forward your dispute to the company who supplied the false information. Also, when you send your dispute letter by certified mail, the tracking number can be used to confirm when the credit bureaus received your dispute letter. In your second dispute letter, you should provide additional information about your credit report dispute. For example, if you are disputing an account as “not mine,” you may consider whether you ever had an account with the company.  If not, then you may say, “I am disputing an account with ABC because it is not mine, and I have never had an account with ABC.”  You may also consider providing the credit bureaus with documents that support your dispute.  If you have a letter from the creditor that says you didn’t have an account with company ABC, then send it to the credit bureaus.
  2. Do nothing.  You may choose do do nothing and wait for the false item to fall off of your credit report after 7 1/2 years.  Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), derogatory information, such as a 90 day late pay, will come off of your credit report seven years, plus 180 days, from the date of delinquency.  15 U.S.C. § 1681c.   You may choose to live with it for the duration, but you shouldn’t let the credit bureaus continue to report the false information if the information on your credit report is untrue.
  3. Contact an experienced credit report lawyer.  Credit report lawyers practice under a federal consumer protection statute called the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).  The FCRA was enacted to promote accuracy, fairness and privacy in the credit reporting industry.  15 U.S.C. § 1681a.  The FCRA applies to consumer reporting agencies, including the nationwide consumer reporting agencies Equifax, Experian and Trans Union and other consumer reporting agencies, such as background reporting companies who report information in employment background reports and landlord tenant screening reports.  The FCRA also applies to companies who report information to the credit reporting agencies, such as banks, credit card companies, student loan lenders and debt collectors. By contacting an experienced FCRA lawyer, you can expect a thorough and professional evaluation of your potential claims.  The consultation should be confidential and made at no charge to you.

The choice is yours, dispute again, do nothing or contact an experienced FCRA lawyer.  Whatever you choose, remember your first step in getting credit report help you need is to contact The Adkins Firm.  Micah Adkins will evaluate your credit or background reports and develop a customized action plan for you.

For additional information about the services The Adkins Firm offers, or to request an appointment with Mr. Adkins, take advantage of our online form or give us a call at our Birmingham (205.206.6718), Dallas  (214-974-4030) or Houston locations (832-390-2322).  Consultations are available in person, by phone or online.  Our friendly staff is ready to assist you, so contact us today!