The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) added a new webpage concerning tax fraud and identity theft.  The website now includes topics on “phishing” schemes, identity theft and protecting your Social Security number.   Click HERE to visit the website.

What are signs that you may be a victim of tax identity theft?

1. You filed more than one tax return.

2. You have a balance due, refund offset or have had collection actions taken against you for a year you did not file.

3. You received wages from an employer you have not worked for.

What should you do if you are a victim of tax identity theft?

1. The first step you should take is contact local law enforcement.  Go to your local police station and fill out an incident report.  The police report will put law enforcement on notice of the crime and the start the criminal investigation.

 2. Next, you should contact you’re the IRS.  The IRS has a 1-800 number dedicated to identity theft complaints at the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at (800) 908-4490.   Contact your local IRS office for help.  Click HERE to find your local tax office.  You can also report tax fraud to the IRS by clicking HERE.  The IRS has a fraud affidavit form that you will need to complete – download the fraud affidavit.

3.  File a complaint with the Privacy Rights Clearing House.  Click HERE to file your complaint.

 4.  File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.  The FTC’s Sentinel database stores information about identity theft statistics.  Watch this video and learn how to file a complaint with the FTC, or file a complaint with the FTC.

 5. Request your free credit report from Equifax, Experian and Trans Union due to fraud or identity theft.  Equifax: 1-800-525-6285; Experian: 1-888-397-3742; and Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289. 

 6.  Dispute Inaccurate items on your credit report to the credit reporting agencies, such as Equifax, Experian and Trans Union.  Click HERE for a free sample dispute letter.

7.   Contact a lawyer who represents victims of identity theft.  Identity theft victims have unique legal claims, criminal and civil.

Still need more information?  Go to the Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft or the IRS Identity Theft Protection page on the IRS Web site, or visit our frequently asked questions page.