Strangulation Death of a Child Prompts Recall to Repair Roman Shades

The CPSC has issued a recall for roman shades because of the risk of strangulation.  In 2007, an infant was strangled by the cord on one such roman shade.  The CPSC warns strangulation can occur when a child places his neck between the exposed inner cord and the fabric on the backside of the window blind.  Strangulation can also occur when a child pulls the cord out and wraps the cord around his neck.

The CPSC recommends the use of cordless window coverings in the homes where children visit or may live.  FULL STORY The CPSC is also warning consumers about other strangulation hazards from window shades with cords.  FULL STORY