How Do I Dispute Errors On My Credit Report?

How Do I Dispute Errors On My Credit Report?

Consumers often contact The Adkins Firm and ask how do I dispute errors on my credit report?  We suggest consumers make disputes to the credit bureaus, including Equifax, Experian and Trans Union, in writing and by certified mail.  Consumers should keep a copy of their signed and dated dispute letters to each of the credit bureaus.  Also, consumers should keep any letters from the credit bureaus in response to the dispute.

Disputes should not be made online or by telephone.  The credit bureaus online dispute process limits the information that consumers may submit in support of their dispute.  Phone disputes may or may not be recorded and later become “he said she said” disputes.  That’s why disputes should be made by mail.  Consumers can attach copies of as many documents that they have in support of their dispute.  Also, the credit bureaus scan and save disputes from consumers.  The disputes letters will be produced by the credit bureaus in litigation if you have to file a lawsuit.  There will be no question what was disputed and when.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) gives consumers the right to dispute false information on a credit report.  Consumers do not have to hire a credit repair company to make a dispute on their behalf.  When a consumer reporting agency receives a consumer dispute, it must either delete the disputed information or notify the company who provided the information in dispute of the consumer’s dispute.  When a credit bureau forwards the consumer’s dispute to the company supplying the disputed information, such as a creditor, then the company must investigate the disputed information and report its findings to the credit bureaus.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act also gives consumers the right to sue the credit bureaus, creditors and debt collectors in federal court comply with the federal law.  The Fair Credit Reporting Act also provides for money damages to compensate consumers for violations of the federal law.  Consumers may collect money damages for credit denials, reduction in credit score, high interest rates, out of pocket expenses, and mental anguish, including embarrassment, frustration, and damage to reputation.  In addition, consumers may receive attorney’s fees and costs of the lawsuit.

We represent consumers with credit report errors.  The Adkins Firm includes lawyers admitted to practice law in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and Texas.  We are also regularly admitted to practice law in other states to protect consumers’ rights under the FCRA.  Micah Adkins has represented consumers in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas and Washington, D.C. We also have relationships with credit report lawyers across the country.  If you have errors on your credit report and need help – contact us 24/7 for a free case evaluation at 1-800-263-9091.