2011 TOP TEN DATA BREACHES
The year is only half way over, but 2011 will be another big year for data record loss. According to Fahmida Y. Rashid at eWeek, over 150 companies experienced a data breach in 2011. Below is the Top 10 List for Data Breaches in 2011.
3. WordPress.com, 18 million records
4. Seacoast Radiology, 231,400 patient records
5. Ankle & Foot Center, Tampa Bay, FL, 156,000 patient records
6. HB Gary Federal, 60,000 records
7. University of South Carolina, 31,000 records
8. HuskyDirect.com, University of Connecticut, 18,059 records
9. RSA Security, unknown
10. Tripadvisor, Expedia, unknown
In addition to the data breaches above, I would add the Texas State Comptroller data breach as the fourth (known) largest data breach of 2011. These massive data breaches should be made public to all consumers. The data breaches illustrate the risk of identity theft and the importance of protecting your information from identity thieves. For a free identity theft information kit, contact data privacy Micah Adkins.